Episode 2, “The System Responds”, for our Beyond the Bench Season 2 podcast is available now! This episode picks up where the last episode ended, with two different reports of suspected child neglect being made to a county child welfare agency. The reports are based on family homelessness and other issues that are occurring in the children’s homes.
This episode is organized into two parts.
- In Part One, you will learn about how the county department responds to reports of suspected neglect through the screening in/out process, what is involved in a department’s assessment of a report, and what safety planning looks like.
- In Part Two, you will learn about when court action is required, how it is started, and what is involved in obtaining an emergency order that removes the children from their homes.
Listed in order of appearance, guest interviewees include:
- Jessica Ford, Program Manager, Catawba County Department of Social Services
- Deana Fleming, Associate Counsel, NC Guardian ad Litem
- Honorable J. Corpening II, Chief District Court Judge, Judicial District 5 (New Hanover and Pender Counties)
- Cindy Bizzel, Administrator, NC Guardian ad Litem Program
- Honorable Cheri Siler-Mack, Judicial District 12 (Cumberland County)
- Honorable Denise Hartsfield, Judicial District 21 (Forsyth County)
- Honorable Tyyawdi Hands, Judicial District 26 (Mecklenburg County)
- Dorothy Hairston Mitchell, Assistant Clinical Professor, NC Central School of Law Juvenile Law Clinic, and Parent Attorney, and
- Jamie Hamlett, Staff Attorney, Alamance County Department of Social Services.
You can listen to this episode, and episode 1 if you missed it, on our podcast website (or through Itunes and Stitcher). I hope you like it. Please share your feedback and don’t forget to leave a review if you listen through Itunes or Stitcher.