Episode 6, “Obtaining Permanency,” for our Beyond the Bench Season 2 podcast is available now!
This episode talks about permanent outcomes for the family and child, with a discussion of two opposite outcomes: a child’s reunification with his/her parents and the child’s adoption after a termination of parental rights. Find out what happens in our remaining court case!
Listed in order of appearance, featured guest interviewees include:
- Christina Triplett, Program Manager, Catawba County Department of Social Services
- Dorothy Hairston Mitchell, Assistant Clinical Professor at NC Central School of Law Juvenile Law Clinic and Parent Attorney
- Honorable J. Corpening II, Chief District Court Judge, Judicial District 5 (New Hanover and Pender Counties)
- Jamie Hamlett, Staff Attorney, Alamance County Department of Social Services
- Honorable Cheri Siler-Mack, Judicial District 12 (Cumberland County) and
- Honorable Denise Hartsfield, Judicial District 21 (Forsyth County).
Listen to this (and past) episodes on our podcast website or through Itunes and Stitcher. I hope you enjoyed this season and learned about child neglect and the child welfare system in North Carolina. Please let others know about this season. If you listen through itunes or Stitcher, don’t forget to leave a review.
If you’re wondering about the court cases discussed during this season, you can read the published opinions here:
In re J.R., ___ N.C. App. ___, 778 S.E. 2d 441 (2015)
In re D.L.W., 368 N.C. 835 (2016)
In re D.L.W., ___ N.C. App. ___, 773 S.E. 2d 504 (2015)